Monday 29 March 2010

Nationwide clerical bungles, service gaps and waste

What’s up with the Nationwide? The back office is falling apart it seems. David Rigney and his operations managers, needs to start managing.

Two weeks ago I had a closure statement for a Capitalbond 92 account that I hadn’t even opened. Fortunately, there was no interest shown, but I would love to know where the phantom principal is.

Last week a family member received back her tear off slip in a window envelope, acknowledging that her bond maturity instructions had been received. Unfortunately, stuck behind her slip was a similar slip addressed to a Mr Alexander in Kilmarnock. The stray slip was handed in, same day at the local branch for forwarding to the rightful recipient. Staff at the branch at least took responsibility for sending it on, once I made it clear that it was nothing to do with me. So Sir, it should be with you soon!

And on Saturday, I eagerly opened a plain front envelope expecting a cheque for about 30p from Nationwide – more on this later. But the cheque was only for 2p and payable to a Mistry person. I will pass the wrong cheque to the local branch later today, so I hope the person who has my cheque will do likewise! Mistry will be 2p better off; but how much is First Class mail, even assuming Nationwide gets a bulk discount?

One of Nationwide’s problems is the internet offering. I can do transactions on the internet at home but can't send messages to Nationwide from home, without being timed out on the server. I therefore have to complain over the phone or via the terminal in the local branch.

As for the reason for the 30p cheque. There is a problem affecting people who have access to internet banking but who have not signed up for a FlexAccount. When an e-bond matures, it is automatically transferred into an e-bond maturity account if the final balance, is not reinvested on the bond maturity date. If a few days elapse before the reinvestment decision is made, the internet only gives the option to transfer the maturity date balance into a new account. The few days of accrued interest in the e-bond maturity account becomes orphaned. The actual amount of such interest is not however, displayed.

Nationwide advised me to use the close account option for the e-bond maturity account and the “hidden” interest would appear. Simple, you might think, but the balance from closing an e-bond maturity account can only be sent to a FlexAccount and not to an Instant Saver account, which is deemed to be a branch account. Therefore, on closing the e-bond maurity account, I was internet messaged to inform me that a cheque for the interest was being sent to me.

Why is Nationwide struggling? Are there too many ISA’s being opened now? Has the unemployment rate in Swindon suddenly fallen and they can’t get the staff? (I’ve been out of work for over a year now – I’d be happy to stuff envelopes)

No comments: